MADAF is proud to honor Jerry Fader as the fifth inductee into our Hall of Fame. The former president and COO of MileOne Automotive, Jerry began his career in the automotive industry in 1976 with Allstate Leasing, followed by the purchase of Seymour Chevrolet in 1978. He was instrumental in transforming this single Chevrolet dealership into what is now MileOne Automotive, the largest dealership group in the mid-Atlantic region, consisting of 76 dealership franchises representing 29 manufacturer brands at 40 locations.
Jerry served on the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association Board of Directors for 12 years and during that time he sat on various committees, including the Baltimore Auto Show committee. In 2006, he represented Maryland as our nominee for the TIME Magazine Quality Dealer Award.
Jerry graduated Summa Cum Laude from Western Maryland College, now McDaniel. He served in the U.S. Army attaining the rank of Captain in the 3rd Armored Division. He was a dedicated family man to his wife Rheda, his three boys and their wives, and his grandchildren.
MADA is proud to recognize Robert B. Suddith (1932-2004) as our second inductee into the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association Hall of Fame. Bob began his automotive career as the Used Car Manager at Chevy Chase Chevrolet in Bethesda, MD. He enlisted in the United States Army, serving in the Army Corps of Engineers during the Korean War, and returned to Chevy Chase Chevrolet following the war. He purchased the Executive Pontiac dealership in Baltimore in 1968, but had to close it the day it opened as a result of riots in the wake of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King. He reopened the business and moved it to Randallstown, MD. He purchased Hoffman Chevrolet in Hagerstown, MD in 1980 and expanded the business in the years that followed.
Throughout his career, Bob was the recipient of numerous awards and distinctions in the industry. He served as Chairman of the Board for MADA; served as the Maryland Director on the National Automobile Dealers Association; and was the 1997 Maryland nominee for the TIME Magazine Quality Dealer of the Year Award.
Bob was also known for his extreme generosity and his philanthropic passions. He and Shelly founded the Suddith Charitable Foundation which gives annually to local schools, Boys & Girls Clubs, and also contributes to international needs. In 2003, the Foundation donated funds which went towards building a school for girls in India. Following September 11, 2001, Bob and Shelly opened Uncle Sam’s Workshop. They made and sold beaded flag pins, ultimately donating over $200,000 in funds to the families of 9/11 victims.
MADA is proud to recognize L. Wilson Howes (1928-2006) as our first inductee into the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association Hall of Fame. Mr. Howes, known to his family and friends as Wilson, was born in Baltimore and graduated from Richard Montgomery High School in 1947. He joined the Navy that same year and served as an engineer aboard the USS Albemarle. In 1948, he took part in Operation Sandstone, witnessing a test of the atomic bomb at the Eniwetok Atoll in Marshall Islands.
Wilson began his
post-Navy career at Western Electric Co. but soon after took a job as a
salesman at Wilson Pontiac in 1952. Six
years later, he became vice president and general manager. He bought the dealership in 1970 and became a
Honda dealer in 1973. Mr. Howes owed his
business success to a single philosophy, “Take care of the customers because
there isn’t an endless supply of them.”
Throughout his career, Wilson was the recipient of numerous awards and prestigious recognition. He served two terms as President of the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association, as well as serving on the board of the Washington Area New Automobile Dealers Association. Wilson represented Maryland as the 1995 TIME Magazine Quality Dealer of the Year nominee.